Sunday, June 1, 2008

What you've been waiting for

Well, Friday was half boring (just classes as usual, where we got our tests back and I gave a 5 minute presentation on my 10 page paper. It started off a little rocky, because I really hadn't prepared at all, but then got better). Then I went home, relaxed a bit and that night was a Jazz Concert. Well, Cathy had told us it was an MC Solaar (famous French rapper who's kind of older now, or a has-been according to my host parents) concert. But it was a jazz concert featuring MC Solaar. But I thought it was really good. There was this amazing bassist. Also, the lyrics were pretty funny to this one song..."Your love is two for one, it's sweet and kind of fun, it's like staying up past midnight when you're still a kid"...and in english too. Which meant all of us started laughing and most of the audience didn't get it. The other good line was "I've got the munchies for your love". There was also this crazy part where the guy would just make some noises (ie singing without actual words) and the audience would repeat it back. It was really strange and entertaining. All in all a good concert.
But, before the concert we got dinner at this supermarket. And some crazy drunk/high guy walked in, shouted something, got a beer and tried to cut in line. So the manager came out and tried to get him to either wait in line or leave. I was in the line he was trying to cut, and it was a little scary when I was paying for my stuff and he spit almost on my shoe. And kept shouting something about "on his mother's life" only it was in french, so I wasn't quite sure what he was getting at. But, it gets better. We go out and wait across the street for the rest of our group. And some guy comes outside yelling at the crazy guy. So the crazy guy punches him! (I'd never really seen anyone actually punch someone like that in real life) and then the other guy kicks him, and someone came and broke them up and the crazy guy wandered away. It was kind of exciting and scary at the same time.
(this bar had weird signs out front, and this is one of them dis'nae? what?)

Saturday wasn't all too exciting. I went running in the morning with Becky and almost got us lost in the Bois de Vincennes. However, because I'd gotten lost before, I had a much better sense of where we were and got us out alright. So then I chilled in my room trying to get homework done until I met Becky for dinner. After dinner we went to a bar with a bunch of other people on the program for the night as a sort of last weekend in France shindig/it had been Masha's 21st birthday last week. So that was a lot of fun, and I caught the dead last metro home. If I'd left just 2 minutes later, I would have missed it. So I lucked out.

Today I had the longest brunch ever with my host parents and Lorraine's sister and her husband. We had a barbecue, which we would have had a month ago, had the weather permitted. I found our aperitif kind of random-white rum and pineapple juice. And then I worked on homework until dinner. And here's what you've been waiting for: me and the family! (Calixte wouldn't look at the camera)

No comments: