Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ah Euh Eee Oo Ew

Yesterday was probably the longest day, class-wise, I've had. It wasn't a bad thing though. We had our usual Art history class, which I really liked because most of it was about the history of photography. For all of the photography I've done, I've never actually studied its history. That was really neat. For my "journal des arts" I had to go to the galerie de photographie in the musée d'orsay (where I went today). Then we had our super long lunch. Pretty much we walked to the trusty boulangerie/patisserie on the corner and got sandwiches. Then returned to CUPA and played cards. I explained "idiot" to Anna in french (you're not allowed to speak english at CUPA). It was super difficult, but I managed. And we also played crazy 8s. I also learned a hilarious. (okay, not so hilarious) joke from Jess: I kicked a french chicken in the stomach. it said oeuf. (it's very much a play on words. oeuf is french for egg, and when you say it it sounds like oof). Shall I tell another, or have you had en-oeuf? (enough).
Okay. Then we had another class where we talked about our visits to Versailles and Le Misanthrope. Right after that was my first class with the guy named Pierre, and it's a little elective class (there are 6 of us in it). And it's pretty sweet. We started with introductions, then did this sort of meditation circle. (when you hold hands in a circle, your right hand should be on top, and the left on the bottom. We learned that, but I learned that when I was in Hawaii at Miss Akiko's Bed and Breakfast. I guess it's good for energy flow). That was to relax us. Then we worked on vowel prononciation. That's why the title of my blog looks strange. It's roughly the French vowels A E I O U, but how you sort of pronounce them. We made music too! It was sweet...everyone had a different vowel, and you were all on the same beat, just different...hmmm. i'm not sure the words I'm using. Tempo maybe? Anyways, it sounded cool. We did a few random activities, like spacial awareness walking around desks not being able to see, and improv television. It should be a fun class, even though I kind of suck at improv, much less in french.

Then I went home, did some homework, and helped my host mom make dinner. (I didn't actually do too much, but it was fun talking to her, and I learned roughly how to make tasty salad dressing. (They don't buy pre made salad dressing. Instead we have super awesome homemade stuff.) We made this tasty pasta with sausages. That night my host father's father and sister came, so it was kind of exciting to have guests. My host father's father is very nostalgic, and talked a lot about the past. They also told some jokes, that I could follow until the punchline, and then they were kind of lost on me. I think it was both the speed they were talking and the subtlety of the jokes.

Today I had my conversation and composition class where we didn't atually do anything, because today's presentations took the entire time. Next week we'll get to watch a video of a comedian, so that's exciting. We then went in search for this gyro place with french fries that monica wanted to try, but most of us just got paninis at a nearby stand. Then the musée d'orsay where I took notes on the photography gallery for my presentation tomorrow. Then we looked through a few other rooms, stopped in the gift shop (where I brought a small print of this painting, which I really liked for some reason. It's "Raboteurs de parquet" by Gustave Caillebotte):
And now I'm at home. It's weird. It's only 4, but it feels so much later. I made it home just in time to listen to Abby, Lynsey and Chuck's radio show at 3, so that was sweet. I hadn't thought I'd be home then. But it'll be nice to be able to get some work done, because tonight I'm going to go out with a couple of friends to get some cake in celebration of one of their birthdays, and it'll be nice to be done with my homework when I leave. Also, sorry for the lack of pictures.

No comments: