Friday, April 11, 2008

Pegasus Crossing?

Okay, I'm going to apologize in advance for having no pictures today.

So let's see, what have I been doing?

Yesterday was another Musée d'Orsay visit, where I gave a short presentation about the Galerie de Photographie, which went well. We also had these crazy headsets to help us hear our professor. We learned about impressionist paintings (Like Monet, mainly, and some Van Gogh, Degas and a couple of others). Afterwards I went to the Orangerie, which is another museum and looked at some giant Monets that were pretty sweet, but I didn't have my camera with me. And that was kind of all I really did. For dinner we had Raclette, which is usually what people eat after skiing. It's this crazy grill thing with these little dishes you put cheese in, which then melts and you pour over potatoes. And then we had some super tasty meat, little pickles, and salad. For dessert was cookies and pinneapple. Apparently pinneapple helps cancel out a greasy meal, so that was interesting.

Today we had two classes, one where most of what we did was do some grammar corrections, and then started this movie, that was hard to understand, and will probably end up sad. Then lunch was pretty sweet. We found this panini stand, where you could get a panini, drink, and sugar crepe for 5 euros, which is pretty good for the area. Plus, it was super tasty, and the guy didn't skimp on the sugar. And the panini's were pretty big. We sat and ate in the Jardin de Luxembourg, which was really nice. Then was another class, where we found out we actually do have quite a bit of work to do. Oh well.

So then I came home, and decided it was pretty nice out, and pretty early, so I wend on a run, which makes it the second run in Paris, but this one totally makes up for all of the not running I've done. (To be fair, I walk A LOT. I found a pedometer on my phone, and I'm not really sure how it works, but I walked like 4 and a half miles yesterday. whatever that means). Anyways, my run. I started my run outside the gate, and when I stopped my watch when I came back to the gate, it read 1 hour, 50 minutes. Why? I got horribly lost in the Bois de Vincennes.

I'm not really sure where I went. I ended up finding the Hippodrome (horse racing), a bunch of football (read: soccer) fields, a small fishing lake, the Château de Vincennes, a floral parc, saw tons of bikers, quite a few runners, a bunch of walkers, and dogs, some horses, a lot of trees, a few maps, and my favorite, a pegasus crossing sign. Really, it was a horse with wings. weird.

So I ended up finding my way back, but not until after I found a map, chose the wrong direction (when I say I have no sense of direction, I'm not kidding), made a GIANT circle, went around the entire Hippodrome and then some, got rained on a little (but I love running in the rain) and found myself back at the map. I made a better plan this time, and found another map that let me know I was going in the right direction, and found my street pretty fast. Good times. And, I really didn't walk much at all. A touch when I decided my feet hurt a little, but then the going was too slow so I started running again. But for the most part I was running continuously, and must have found the perfect pace, because I barely looked at my watch. The first time I looked, I'd been running for 55 minutes. Sweet.

I'm going to go take a shower now. I'm glad I went on the run though. I'm not sure if I've already said this, but I know why I'm a pentathlete in track. Because I kind of have a short attention span, so distance is hard for me. That is, unless the area I'm running in is totally awesome, and changing, and new. Which is why I didn't run around the Lake again. I'd done that. Today I got to see a castle! So much cooler. (I might go visit it with my host family on Sunday, so that should be fun).

EDIT: Okay, so here's a map of what I kind of think I did on my run. It probably doesn't make too much sense, with all the crossing over and such. Then again, neither did my run.

No comments: